Monday, January 23, 2012

I'm kinda obsessed.

I've shared recently on FB that we are in the process of being approved to adopt a new doggie into our family.  We lost our beloved Carley in October and our home hasn't felt the same since.
Jackson is lonely.  But, he does get a lot more attention being the only 4-legged child in the house.  It is easier to take long family walks, get to the dog park, regular doggie day care visits...
It is all easier.  But I don't necessarily like easier.  I like a complete family.  Jackson needs a sibling.
We had originally planned to wait until we bought our home this summer to bring a new 4-legged child into the family.  Then I started this dog adoption process on a whim.  Mostly, I kept seeing these beautiful faces and I got nervous that the right dog would miss our family because we weren't on the eligable list.  And, I knew it would take time to get through the million steps to become eligable. Plus, if it takes time to find the right dog, and we didn't get on the list until August, we could be a single dog family until Halloween, easily.
That sent me into a panic.  An axiety driven freak out that now has me in hyper mode trying to find our family a suitable dog.  I swear it is like when we decided to start trying for a baby... I made the decision I wanted one, so I wanted it immediatly.  Not in 3 months.  I cried constanly because I HAD TO HAVE A BABY!  I was a little crazy about it, I get that now.  But, it is what it is.  Once I put my mind to something, it has to get done, quickly.  This isn't only with children, or pets... it's clothes, vacations, buying a house.  I'm impatient.  Just ask Jason... once we had been together about a year, I started nagging about getting married... all at the ripe old age of 19.
So, here I am spending all my free time searching every dog adoption website I can find looking for a dog to look me in the face and tell me that she is mine.
I should be embarressed, but I'm not. 
And, I got my heart set on a beautiful 2 year old girl dog that was good with cats, dogs, AND kids!  I thought for sure she would be ours in a matter of days.  In fact, I had renamed her to something more suitable to our family.  I looked at her picture several times a day for the past 4 days... then BAM! she was adopted to some other family right out from under my nose! I'm confident they are not nearly as good a family as we are, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it.
So here we are... waiting.  Tonight is our home visit with the adoption organization. 
Wow, this is a process.
One online application
One 40 minute phone interview
Several shorter phone conversations later...
And, we are having a home visit.
But, at least by going through a rescue organization that fosters the pets in homes, we have a much better idea about the personality we are bringing into our home.  We have a 2 year old and another doggie to consider here.
Man-o-man, this process is stressing me out.
I just keep in mind that pretty soon I'm going to have two amazing giant retrievers to think they are lap dogs.
My name is Crystal, and I love giant dogs who think they are lap dogs.

I really encourage anyone looking to add a furbaby to their family to adopt.  It is giving a pet a second chance on life, something they will never stop thanking and loving you for.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on how this home visit goes and where we end up in the process. Jason is working from home today to get the house cleaned and organized so the home visit goes spectacular!  I have the best.husband.ever. for putting up with my crazy... I know secretly he wants a second doggie too..

No comments:

Post a Comment