Friday, April 20, 2012

coffee dates?

I read a lot of blogs. A lot. Some funny, some creative, some just about motherhood, but all add a lot to my day. I've been reading Rags to Stiches for quite a while and just really enjoy following the journey of a mother with two small, adorable children, trying to run her own business and still be a great partner to her husband. Sound familiar? She has this great thing each week, a coffee date. This is a virtual coffee date with her readers, just like you would have with your besties in the area.
Here's the deal, I'm a little low on local friends in CO. And I certainly don't have regular coffee or dinner dates with anyone besides Emery. But, I do have this wonderful opportunity to occasionally share those day to day things that I'd share on those dates here so that my friends at home can be kept up-to-date.
I think I've only just realized how easy it is to lose touch with you besties when one of you moves away. It is just really easy to skype or call less often. In fact, I had my first skype date with my bestie, Kacie, last night... FIRST SINCE WE MOVED HERE! Nuts! That is just not ok. So, while I don't know how often I'll do this... I'll do my best.

Ok, if we were to sit down for coffee I'd share with you that I'm sick of house hunting.
And that we've really only just begun.
We're are not desperate yet to get into a house, so I might be a little too picky.
And, I actually refuse to see most houses in person.
I make my poor husband look at 7 or 8, narrow it down to 2 or 3 and then revisit them with me later in the evening.
It gets more complicated because I have an entire pinterest board dedicated to our new house and it's decor. So every house I walk into I long to see splashes of yellow, cute refinished furniture, mosaic tile backsplash, and the perfect place for a rug I haven't picked out yet.
Am I crazy for wanting the perfect house to call a home?

I'd also share with you that my friend Kacie is getting married in June.
And that I makes me so sad that I'm in CO and can't help her shop today for indian inspired fabic for her aisle runner.
And that I think her fiance is adorable and can't wait to celebrate their special day with them.
I'd also tell you that I feel like I've been waiting forever to be the perfect bridesmaid to her, like she was for me.
My friendship with Kacie isn't perfect or normal. And we certainly aren't the same. BUT, she will always be in my life and I'm so thankful for her. She is the type of friend that sets the example of what being a better person can be. She is a huge inspiration in taking a leap of faith, and having faith.

Advise on the house hunting front?

'til next time....

7 comments:

  1. Hey! Visiting from Rags To Stitches. Good luck with the house hunting. We actually just closed on our house, and it is far from perfect, but it is just what we need and I can't wait to settle in and put my own touches on it. Don't go crazy with the wish list, and have an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! We're trying to keep it simple, but we've been "looking" for like 3 1/2 years, so it's so hard to not get picky. But I agree, putting up our own pictures and bringing in our family and furniture will make all the difference! Thanks for visiting!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Make sure you keep an open mind and look at the potential of the rooms. The house isn't a home when you buy it, all your fabulouslessness (is that a word?) is what makes it a home. Love you, you will find the perfect place!! Just make a list of must-have's, and wants. Then rank. That's what we do. And remember, this is just temporary until you become my neighbor - then we will search for the PERFECT place!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about how fun it would be for us to really be neighbors and we could just cut out part of the fence between our houses so all the kids and dogs could just go between and have the biggest yard on the block. 4 dogs, 4 kids and lots of amazing memories.
    trust me, we know it's temporary! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first house won't be the "perfect" house for you. I should know, Josh picked out our first home. But it is what you make of it. You will be the one to give it character and make it "your home." Good luck with the search, I know it could get frustrating after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you linked up today for coffee. It was my first time joining Alissa's link up as well.

    Best of luck on buying a house. Remember that there will always be something you'd change about probably every house you look at. My advice (after buying and selling already) is to buy what you can afford now, not what you can afford in the future or if one of you works more. Stay within your price range even if the bank or whomever thinks you can afford more. At the end of the purchase, you'll be the one who pays the mortgage payments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm visiting from Rags to stitches, too! I remember when we were house hunting, it was so overwhelming. We took a little "break" and the perfect house came up for us! Just remember its YOU and your family that make a house a home! :)

    ReplyDelete