Friday, September 7, 2012

casualty of the heart (and headband)

I think I've pretty well document E's love of headbands.

Well, we've had our first casualty. One of our brand new glitter fabric headbands (in black) came home snapped in half yesterday. I didn't pick up E, her daddy did, but she came running in the door with said headband to tell me all about it.

Apparently Nick broke it. He pulled it off her head on the rug during story time. When she grabbed it and told him NO, his broke it. She declared that he was mean, not her friend, and that she was going to sit on another part of the rug from now on.

damaged goods....


First, I was a little bit annoyed that this kid thinks it's ok to grab my kids head and headband. I've met his mother, what the hell?! Manners?

Then I couldn't help but chuckle and think "So it begins....."

Any woman could tell you that this is just what boys do. I didn't realize it started so early, but I know that playfully being a jerk is just how boys communicate. E is particularly pretty, so she better get used to it.

I once had a boy throw a stick at my face during a game of chase. It was later revealed (in 2nd grade) that he had a crush on me. Funny way of showing it.

How do you explain to a 3 year old that he was just being a boy, while she is mourning the loss of a beloved headband. Being a jerk is just was boys do.

Men sure have a funny way of showing affection. Jason and I dated for 6 months and out of the blue he just stopped calling. We laugh about it 9 years later, but at the time I was totally confused. To be honest, I still kinda am. Hello? I'm awesome! ;)

It breaks my heart to know that I'll have to put her heart back together. And that the only man she'll ever truly trust with her heart is her daddy. But, thankful that at least he is showing her an amazing example of what love from someone can be.

E loves hard and wears her emotion on her sleeve. I get so sad thinking about her teenage years and helping her understand that while things seem like such a huge deal at the time, in the scheme of things, it isn't worth the tears.

Thankfully, she is surrounded by so much love at home and hopefully we'll keep our amazing relationship of communication where she can ask me anything. I want her to know that she can talk to me and that it is safe.

Motherhood and the worry associated with it is more stressful than I could have ever imagined....

How do you deal? Advise for the mommy of an overly emotional girl?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I have SUCH an emotional girl too. And still am one myself, sometimes. No advice, just saying I know how you feel. The teenage years will be interesting with these two! But they are also loving and passionate, and you can't beat that. xo

    ReplyDelete