Friday, February 8, 2013

Feeling the love.

It's safe to say that I didn't grow up in a house that decorated for anything but Christmas. And, we used up all efforts for the year in that one holiday. But, I was always a little jealous of my friends that had year around decor and parents that made each holiday a little special.

NOW, let's not get too crazy. I've always had an easter basket. In fact, I've had the same one my entire life. It is a really special tradition that started when my mom received the basket in the hospital when I was born her favorite flowers, carnations. That white basket and pink gingham ribbon have been through a lot and I am still totally obsessed with them! My mom continued this with me (and E) by sending me a basket with my favorite flowers to the hospital. This basket is stored safety in a tub and will be used until the end of time for my kiddo!

And, it may be that I've simply forgotten the sweet holiday gestures. But, aside from my favorite easter basket, I'm running a little low on non-Christmas traditions for our family. Holiday traditions, and family traditions, are kinda a big deal in my book. Being able to look forward to special things makes the anticipation just that much greater.

So, now that we're in our first real home (and by real I mean large, purchased and our very own), I'm trying to step it up in the holiday department. Right now, that means buying all new holiday decorations. We've never had anywhere to put these types of things before, so I'm being choosy and picking a few amazing pieces each holiday to add to our collection. It will likely take a while to get to where I want to be in the holiday decor department, but we're making progress.... mostly thanks to pinterest.

 
E and I already made this for our door
I've totally jumped on the fireplace banner train and have found that Target is carrying some amazing options for around $7, a much better deal than the $20-$30 items I typically fall in love with on etsy.

Here is the one I picked up for V-day (I've already snapped up their spring banner!):


More than decor though, I'm excited to continue to give E a special card from her parents. Jason in the past has brought both of us home flowers and E is now to the age when that is such a huge deal! I love that he is showing her how she deserves to be treated and she loves showing off her big girl flowers and talking about how good they smell! I'll likely get her a special tee for school and we'll end the evening with a family dinner.

Jason and I gave up the big fancy pants valentines day dinner long before we were parents. I tend to think the fancy dinner is over hyped and over priced. Although, I'd never take back the first v-day we spent together way back in 2003! We were both crazy nervous, but ended up having an amazing dinner and just further confirming that we were totally in love. These days we tend to make a steak dinner at home with all kinds of yummy sides and appetizers. I plan to dip into my food board on pinterest to make sure it's new and tasty!

Valentines Day is just a week away, friends! How do you plan to show your love to those in your life?


1 comment:

  1. We never really decorate our house for holidays growing up either, but I'm definitely wanting to go all out once we have kids. And yes, I definitely agree that pinterest is to blame!

    As for Valentine's day, we're planning on meeting up after work and going to dinner then a movie. And somehow I've already agreed to see the new Die Hard movie on Valentine's Day. If that's not love, then I don't know what is. Ha!

    ReplyDelete