Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I'm working on it.

One of my goals for a long time has been to be a more patient and present Mom. It certainly doesn't come naturally to me. My mom is amazing and I ADORE HER,but she was not the mom to help me dress a baby doll or color. She was my girl scout troop leader, she set the example for me about the importance of community service and I never, ever doubted that she loved me. We had "special dinner" traditions of chips and dip and occasionally played hookie to go to Disneyland. It's just different than some people who played dress up and board games with their mom.

E is almost four, but I am still figuring out motherhood and what type of Mom I want to be. Naturally, I'm more like my mom. I'll take E to the zoo or dance class and cuddle her until our hearts are filled. But, please don't ask me to pretend to be a Mommy Dog, or color another picture of a Disney Princess.

My goal is to get to a place where I am some type of hybrid. I want to try to do more "in the trenches" activities with E that pinterest tells me I should be doing, but I also need some sanity. The hubs is traveling for work until tomorrow, so in an effort to turn off the TV and phone and be present with E, tonight, we made cookies. Now listen, I'm a 21st century working mom, so I bought the break and bake cookies. But, added some decorating fun. Daddy is so lucky to come home to these tomorrow!

She is so ready to start decorating!

Shaking on the heart sprinkles. Those were a hit!

Dip it in the icing. NBD. Lick it off. Totally sanitary in this house...

Kid tested. Mother approved.
E had so much fun she asked to do it again tomorrow. We'll see... but it was a good lesson in turning off life and being present. While the cookies cooked, we danced in the kitchen! Now, story time and cuddles!


No comments:

Post a Comment